15 Nov 2015

The Paradigm Of Greatness


People are like books. We learn and live our lives with people around us. Starting from our parents to our Facebook acquaintance, people are everywhere. Of all the people we come across, only a handful make real impact in our lives. Such people who can plant great ideas in our minds, cultivate goodness in our hearts and bring real change are Great. They are #MadeOfGreat and with their ingredients of greatness can make more greats. We read plenty of books, listen to videos, speeches and what not that talks about Inspiration, Motivation, Empowerment so on and so forth which tend to lead us to the path of greatness. But when we learn these from people those lessons get embedded within our lives forever.

When I type the words above, my mind is filled with one great person who taught me the values of life. I am what I am today because of My Grandmother.

Since my birth other than my mother the one person who has been always around me as I grew up was my maternal grandmother, until today and for the many more years to come. The first thing I got inspired about her as a toddler was her teachings. She had not been to school but she is a great teacher. The way she held my finger and taught me alphabets, the way she told us stories, I was awed by her knowledge. That’s when my admiration for her begun.

I always tell my grandmother that she is way ahead of her times. Her beauty shines both in her looks and attitude. The way she carries herself around the house is elegant and when she goes out she is admirable. I feel proud to go out with her to functions and family visits to see her charisma and the way she makes her presence felt.

Being the only child of my great grandfather, who established a legacy of his business and respected status of our family in our hometown, she was brought up to be the crown jewel of his legacy. I’ve heard stories about her young years but what I witnessed living with her was much greater than those stories. I’ve seen her making strategic decisions for the family, governing the Wakf treasury and managing its duties & people and more. She kept track of every penny earned and spent. Every such quality is a learning for me and my siblings throughout our lives.

I developed the character of sharing and caring from my grandmother. The way she takes care of the people who work for us at home and business was something we all look up to. Her level of helping reached its epitome when she built an independent house for one of our workers who has been with us for long. Following her footsteps, we take care of our workers' welfare and especially their children’s education. Her philanthropy has blessed us all with the prayers of the people in need.

She always exhibited patience and control during any situation, of which the people of my town sought her during their difficult times. One such incident was during the 1992 flood of Thamarabarani river in Tamil Nadu, which claimed hundreds of lives. My grandfather had made arrangements for the people who lost their homes while my grandmother supervised the entire panic situation very well bringing peace to the hearts of the people. She is like a super-heroine to me.

She is a wise woman. Right from my grandfather to family and friends, we all seek my grandmother’s counsel during tough times. Her counselling abilities are so well known for the stability and clarity they bring to everyone when nothing goes right. My brother and I used to joke around calling her Don, but the truth is her care for the family and her people is immense. Not only to our family but to the people in my hometown, she is a Legend.

Her bravery was another trait that I’ve adopted. The classic example that’s always on top of my head is the middle-east tour she and my grandfather took. During the last few days of the tour, my grandfather met with an accident at the hotel and was injured badly. She singlehandedly aided my grandfather, communicated in a foreign land and assembled people with just her presence of mind, to help her out of that panic situation. Thanks to my grandfather who gave her an emergency situation protocol during the initial days of their trip. Her brave act was applauded by everyone and it was a great lesson to all women. She was able to pull this off with her home grown knowledge. She taught us to be courageous in whatever situation we face.

She is a great writer and an amazing story teller. Her travelogue series of her middle-east trip which was published in a women’s Tamil magazine during the 70s was the best of her works and it was one of the famous Historic travel series of that time. I’ve learnt about my religion, my Prophet, good manners and a lot from her stories. I can keep talking about all the things that make my Grandmother great, but an important caliber that got inherited to me from her was - Writing. And that is the only reason I can register my thoughts on her in here. Her DNA of writing skipped my mother and got transferred to me completely. Well, I have to write more and lot better to reach her level. Also I’m a big fan of her cooking and I’ve have taken more cooking lessons from her than my mother. Not only at home but where ever she goes, she maintained her dignity till date. She inspired me in many ways. 

Undeniably my Ummama is #MadeOfGreat and I’m blessed to be her granddaughter to get guided in the path of a great in the making.


I love you, Ummama. You are the best! :)



The pioneer Tata believes in providing equal opportunity in developing talents, Messi believes in giving 100% and keep getting better & better with his talent. Their partnership to me is the handshake between great talent and great opportunity.

Read more about Tata Motors and Lionel Messi here.



Question: What do you think of Tata Motors’ association with Lionel Messi?’



38 comments:

  1. Your post made me reminisce about my grandparents, truly miss them. Lovely post Rat.
    And the comment for the contest:
    Who else than the world’s best player to fortify the already robust and solid Tata brand!
    Messi shall surely take the brand ‘forward’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leena. I'm happy to bring back the memories of your grandparents. :)

      Delete
  2. Loved reading your take :)

    On the question, being the one person undoubtedly made of great, Lionel Messi and TATA Motors which has only been getting better, will only have more great things to achieve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely ode to your Ummama, Meera.
    This piece could even echo my daughter's feelings towards my Mother.

    I guess Grandma's are like that.
    Nitty-gritty, yet soft and gentle.

    As for the expression of views towards the question, I would like to answer through a stanza or two of verse:

    ---

    'What drives us from within is what makes us great'
    Belief in oneself, the zeal to put up a brave face,
    In the face of adversity, to stand strong against fate,
    That's how life is - it's an excellent goal to chase!

    To create a name for oneself, from the soil your feet dampen,
    To let critics enhance your effort, not let your spirits dampen,
    It's the journey that counts, more than having scaled the peak,
    To persevere so that it's your actions that have the loudest shriek!

    ---

    To sum up, I feel that this age old adage rings true whenever I think of this beautiful alliance of an Indian Global Brand - Tata Motors and a Global Argentinian Sportsperson - Lionel Messi

    "Our Similarities bring us to a common ground; Our Differences allow us to be fascinated"

    That realization is truly #madeofgreat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you, Poonam. Thank You. Keep visiting! :)

      Delete
  4. Your grand mother sure is awesome! I miss my grand parents the most when I read wonderful posts like these :)

    For a company as great as Tata Motors, only someone like Messi would be suited. Performance, speed, accuracy and success guaranteed with both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Soumya. I bet all grandparents are #MadeOfGreat. :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes, she is my first inspiration. Thanks Indrani. :)

      Delete
  6. Looks like your grandmother played a central role in shaping you!! :)

    Tata Motors, in roping Lionel Messi, a world icon and three time Ballon d'Or winner as their brand ambassador is sure to change the mindset and perception of the young and upcoming generations who are going to buy cars. I'd say a complete brand makeover for Tata motors and a pretty convincing and excellent one at that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is pivotal for what I am. Thanks Akash :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you for the read, Mridula. :)

      Delete
  8. A travel writer of 70s and she had not been to school! Truly inspiring! I see your granny in your writing :) Great post, Meera!

    Do you know that Messi had a growth hormone deficiency in his childhood? For the sports legend he is today, I guess none can believe this. His passion for football must have been so great that he could outgrew this condition. Do you also know that Tata Indica, Tata’s first passaenger car, initially faced huge criticism? Still, Tata Motors could make it as one of the best selling cars in India! Some stories move us, from within, don't they/! Their association certainly promises something far greater than what we’ve witnessed so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm blessed to be her granddaughter. Thank you Ved! :)

      Delete
  9. My grandparents died before my birth and I always missed that warmth in my life. Your grandmother is an inspiring lady, people of that time have limited resources but still they excel in their fields which made them really great.

    Lionel Messi is an international brand like Tata Motors. Both Tata Motors and Messi are driven by promise to perform best and to deliver their 100%. I think they are perfect match for each other. Both are equally famous among masses and classes. Messi having different play shots in his bucket and Tata Motors have vehicle range from economical Nano to Luxurious Sedans. There association is like cherry on the cake. Messi's arrival have added 'Char Chand' to Tata Motors.

    My #madeofgreat post: The Teacher From Bihar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Limited resources bring the best out of people. That's a great lesson for our generation. Thanks Cifar! :)

      Delete
  10. Tata Motors' association with Lionel Messi spells a significantly notable alliance that will steer the company towards favourable benefits. I always acknowledge Tata Motors as a distinctive name in Auto industry, which will not let the success 'larger-than life' elude from its fate now with a timeless guild with iconic figure Messi. I don't see this union of Tata Motors as an aspirational effort for garnering some quick publicity and evoke specific reaction from myriad crowd with Celeb branding, but is rightly an embellished handshake for keeping up the pace to get to the pinnacle of success graph. To sum things up, I am joyous to see the brand and the star uniting for 'One in a Million' #madeofgreat power-packed drive ahead :)

    Do share your views on my post as well http://maliveandkicking.blogspot.in/2015/11/holiness-of-character-is-key-to-be.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brand will shine with the star. Thanks Shilpa. :)

      Delete
  11. Tata Motors has earned the goodwill from giving the best and innovative Automobiles and it is also known as one the best Automobile Manufactures. And if you see the Lionel Messi , his throughout dedication, zeal , targeted goal of life and technically soundness make him big, achiever and remarkable position in the world.
    As per me, the association of Tata Motors and Messi is a grand amalgamation of two legendary entities of the world, and their amalgamation will definitely break down the clutters and affect the cut throat competition of Tata Motors. Tata motors will sure get a huge preference by the fans of Messi. This will sure make a record of Tata motors in the world of production or may be the highest selling automobiles.
    Tata motor’s main target is to give an impression on the large amount of crowd and this can be achieved only through the Messi, because the youth generation is crazy for MESSI and this can be smart move and a great achievement for Tata Motors they positioned MESSI as their BRAND AMBASSADOR .
    In the nutshell, Tata Motors , Messi joining hands will definitely give more soundness in technicality of promotional strategies and Messi’s influence will influence the audience for choosing Tata Motors and expand the business drastically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your detailed view. Keep visiting :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Meera grandparents are special and truely #madeofgreat
    Indeed a nicely written post. I wish you good luck for the contest
    Here is my answer
    The association of Tata Motors with Lionel Messi is that of two greats. Lionel Messi has been exceptionally talented who with his hard work, determination and sacrifices has got better and tougher in his chosen sport so is the Image, reputation and quality of TATA Motors that have transformed brilliant ideas into masterpieces of engineering and created a brand and products that we are so proud of as Indians. Lionel Messi has transformed his body and the mind body co-ordination into a masterpiece of precision and excellence it would not be wrong to say that Lionel Messi is the TATA Motors of sports where as TATA Motors is the Lionel Messi of vehicles both giants in their own spheres driven by the drive to excel and lead by example. So Lionel Messi is the best choice for becoming the brand Ambassador for TATA Motors
    aaloke19@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post defines #madeofgreat to the hilt. Goodluck for the contest
    My answer is:
    Authenticity, reliability, simplicity, as well as its commitment to innovation are the pillars of strength on which TATA have built a brand that has put India on the global map. It is a brand that has stood the test of time just like Lionel Messi who tackles opposition on the field with his skill,agility,strategy,brilliance and raw power to reach and score a goal so has been the track record of TATA motors who has become a brand leader and a global giant. These qualities make TATA Motors and Lionel Messi perfect partners who stand for the same set of values thus Lionel Messi is the perfect brand ambassador to represent TATA Motors.
    Hope my best to be a winner here; do contact me for the prize at mahima2014j@gmail.com
    fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mahima for the read. :)

      Delete
  14. Your post describes #madeofgreat so well that it has winner written all over it. Good luck for your entry.
    Here is my answer.
    Like minds think and act alike looking at the track record of TATA Motors it has stood the test of time and built a business that was built using bricks of hard work on a foundation of trust. Authenticity, reliability, simplicity, as well as its commitment to innovation are the trademarks of brand TATA Motors. These same qualities are present in Lionel Messi who with his immense talent has made a mark for himself on the international football field .Facing all hardships he has worked hard toiling on the fields and in training sessions facing injuries and pressure to come out trumps and be a winner. Thus these two greats Lionel Messi and TATA Motors are made for each other .There association is a bond of two legends
    In case you pick me a winner my email id is : princess09hema@gmail.com
    Fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the wishes, Hemaa :)

      Delete
  15. Yours is a very well written post your .Its is a very nice description of #madeofgreat
    TATA Motors is a brand associated with performance, endurance and excellence. These words are also synonymous with Lionel Messi who plays as a forward and weaves his magic on the football field.Just as Lionel Messi is considered the best footballer in the world ,TATA motors which is Indias premier automotive manufacturer gives wheels to the people of India with its wide range of vehicles. Both believe in excelling in whatever they do and set examples for others to follow. They compliment each other as both are reliable trustworthy and leaders thus Lionel Messi is the natural choice as the brand ambassador of TATA Motors
    yagneshbjoshi10099@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Grandma was surely ahead of her time!
    Now about the answer it's a amazingly great relationship between Lionel Messi,a global phenomenon who is #madeofgreat and Tata Motors who tend to make great things. I think it will impact both of them positively. People will know the story behind the hardworking man Messi and applaud Tata Motors for choosing him.
    Email- thecrazysim@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sim. Keep visiting. :)

      Delete
  17. Ooh I love this post! I am a grandmother's baby too :) Like yours she hasn't studied much, but she is very wise. :) They are indeed #madeofgreat
    Goodluck with the contest and love to you and your Ummama :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to know about your grandmother. Thanks for the love and wishes Rangelz! :)

      Delete
  18. I have been blessed until a few years I have had both set of grandparents looking out for me always .. My grandMom's are still here so I get pampered a lot when i visit india ..

    I think in the years gone by ladies learnt more from experience, both mine are uneducated but they are SO wise and say the right words always ...

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to know about your Grannies and their pampering. Thank you Bikram :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...