24 Apr 2013

My Umrah Journal - Mecca


My Umrah Journal - Madinah

Starting our journey from Madinah, after lunch, we reached Mecca little before midnight. On the way, we halted for an hour in a place called Zul Hulaifah. It is the Miqat point where we must enter into the state of Ihram before entering Mecca for the purpose of Umrah. Ihram means the state of purity one should follow with ablution and a dress code, before performing the Umrah or Haj ritual.

It was very late Sunday evening. Well, then it was our first night in Mecca. It was so hot and dry weather even in that late hour. Hot wind blowing on our faces, as we reached our hotel. Being in Ihram state, I was drowned in my own thoughts. I knew I can't wait to see Ka'bah, even though how very late and hot it was. I have seen Ka'bah pictures and the entire Masjid Al Haram and its rituals all live on TV but then being in Mecca and just a few minutes walk away from Ka'bah, I was very eager and excited for finally am going to get to see it directly. After having our dinner, we reached the mosque in some 15 minutes walk from our hotel. As we reached the lobby of Haram Shareef which was filled with people from various places of the world even at midnight, it was a delight to watch them doing their prayers. Before entering inside the mosque, our Alim gave us the basic idea of Umrah. He asked us to gaze down till we reach Ka'bah and recite holy verses. Then we all walked slowly lowering our sights, till we reached the place where we could see Ka'bah closer and clearer. This is especially for the first timers there. And it is among one of those moments and places where our prayers are answered. Inshaallah.

Ka'bah, Masjid Al Haram, Mecca

As we reached closer enough, we were asked to raise our heads. There I saw that black square building formed as a simple but attractive huge cube. Masha Allah! Magnificent view like it was welcoming us and trying to embrace us. It is the center of Muslim’s prayer around the world. I stopped there for a moment with my glistening eyes and raised my hands to ask dua and forgiveness. I felt the mixture of unexplainable feelings. I've been waiting for this moment so long and seeing in my dreams. The moment when I saw Ka'bah for the first time, my dream came true.


Courtesy - Google

We did our nafil prayers and then were ready to perform our first Umrah. Umrah is a journey consisting of Tawaf and Sa’ee.

Tawaf – there have been more religious histories to tell why we have to do this tawaf.  And I’ve been trying to understand the philosophy of Circumambulation. It actually means to go round something, like orbiting. Like the planets orbiting the central Sun in the solar system.

Its like when we love someone, we would be going around that person to express our love and affection to prove that we are ready to sacrifice everything for our loved one. Standing in front of Ka'aba, I knew it was my time to showcase my love and detach everything from this worldly things just to be around Allah. One tawaf means taking 7 rounds of the Ka'aba.

Sa'ee  – Walking for Sa’ee between Safa and Marwah hill, seven times to and fro, a long walk almost 3 kms. I was thinking how Hajira (rali) did manage to run in the exact place filled with rocks and hot sand then, without cooling air conditioners and all the facilities we are having now, to look for water for her son Ismail (as). This is where Zam Zam water sprang up on the spot where Prophet Ismail (as) kicked his feet and it never dried ever since. Drinking Zam Zam water heals any health related issues. Many people has witnessed this miracle. 

After finishing the Tawaf and Sa’ee, we need to cut our hair. Only then it means we are relieved from the state of Ihram and means the completion of our Umrah. After that, we have to drink the Zam Zam water. They are kept all around the mosque in numerous cold, hot and plain water cans.

No matter how sick we are, the moment we go there, all our illness will vanish and a new vibe of energy blossoms in our body and soul that makes us wonder where did all these energy and fitness come from - to do all our rituals without any hurdles and weaknesses. It is indeed a miracle that many people witness in this holy land and especially with the Zam Zam water.

On my second day, I was so happy and blessed that I managed to touch the Hajr-E-Aswadh, the black holy stone in that crowd, without any hassle with the help of my brother, which is fixed in one of the four corners of Ka'bah. That is where we had to start our Tawaf. Before this journey happened to me, I had a dream like I was going closer to this stone and talking to it. And just as I dreamt, it all happened there. Indeed I did have my moment to say my greetings to it. My dreams were coming true and this journey brought me and everyone the undefined joy. Alhamdulillah.

A View outside the mosque, Masjid Al Haram


A view inside

One evening, after my Umrah rituals, when I was reciting Quran, an African lady came and sat next to me and was keenly listening to my recital. I became so conscious and smiled at her. After few minutes of listening, she asked me to help read the verses from the beginners' Quran she brought. We both didn't understand each other's tongue but still I felt so glad that in Masjid al Haram, Allah gave me that opportunity to help someone recite Quran. After half an hour of that reading session, she blessed me  with a happy heart and left. One of the memories I will cherish for long.

For the 10 days we stayed there, I concentrated on focusing myself and dedicating towards Allah. Our only activity was to pray in the mosque and reciting holy verses through out the day. Sometimes, when I simply used to sit there watching the Ka'bah, I sensed as if it was trying to converse with me. It was a heavenly feel. Masjid Al Haram is always packed with people, but it is very clean and with beautiful fragrance all around, the entire mosque is just a bliss to watch. If we come little late for the prayer, we had to struggle finding our way to sit. Once my cousin and me, we both had to stand in a staircase and did our Salah since we arrived only couple of minutes late after the Azan -  the prayer calling.

I felt like I found myself once again and relate a lot of things that mentioned in Quran. Alhamdulillah, by God’s Grace, I memorized a chapter in  Quran and glad that I could get to see the places mentioned in the Holy Quran like Mount Uhad, Badr valley, Arafat, Mina. Arafat is the hill where the first reunion of Adam (as) and Hawwa (as) took place after coming down to this world. I also learnt that Masjid Al Nameera, an ancient large mosque in Arafat, can hold a million people inside during the prayer hour.


Arafat
Inflammable Tents at Mina

Masjid Nameera, Arafat

Umma and I along with one of our cousins who works there in Mecca, went to the wholesale fruit market to buy Dates. We witnessed variety of dates from low to high quality packed and unpacked, plus many other fruits imported from all over the world.

Date Market

While Madinah is a clean and peaceful city, I found Mecca blowing hot and sandy wind. Mainly because it is situated in between the rocky mountains. There we could see many buildings emerging out of those hills. And almost through out the year, construction work is going on, expanding the Haram Shareef, as to accommodate the increasing number of pilgrims who are visiting the Holy land each year. So they say, even every year you go to Mecca, you will get to see a different city.

We also went on a day trip to Jeddah visiting the floating mosque over the sea and also to Ta'if, a hill station and the winter capital of Saudi Arabia.

On our last day there, we felt that the trip should never end. While I am typing down my journal here, I know no perfect words I found to express my true feelings or simply, I wonder will I ever get one? It was altogether a very beautiful experience for all of us. I wish I can go back there again and esp. to perform Haj soon, Inshaallah. May Allah bless us all with good tidings and grant us the opportunity to go to Mecca at least once in our life time to witness this beauty. Aameen.


All the pictures used here for my journal are from my personal album unless otherwise it is stated.

Thanks for reading my Umrah Journal.

36 comments:

  1. You are indeed blessed. It was fascinating to read about all the rituals you did there. Am sure Allah will call you for Haj sooner than later! Inshallah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May allah Subhanahu wa ta'ala grant every muslim to witness this epic saga !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was indeed beautiful experience of life...and yes it is undefined joy..When we read quran its like we are communicating to Allah...Mecca brings us closer to allah...I also wish to attend umrah soon...

      Delete
    2. Very true Farah.. Quran brings us closer to Allah. May Allah grant your wishes n prayers too.. aameen.

      warm welcome to my space :-)

      Delete
  3. A pilgrimage of devotion, dedication and involvement. Beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Venkat.. keep visiting here :)

      Delete
  4. Masha Allah.... May Allah grant me and every soul the opportunity to reach Qabatullah Sharif...amaan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aameen. May Allah answeres your prayers, dear :-)

      Delete
  5. Feels good to know a dream came true. This trip must have been so overwhelming. This is the first time I've read about a trip to Mecca. I'm so thankful to you for taking me there, through this post. Thanking you also for taking the trouble to explain Tawaf and Sa'ee.

    Would you have pics of the Floating Mosque?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah i have few pictures of the floating mosque. I will post it soon. thanks for visiting and also for dropping your comments. :-)

      Delete
  6. Lovely captures of textures and contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lorri.. welcome to my space :)

      Delete
  7. A great place, I may never be there.
    I liked the shots of your fruits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very informative and well written post! Quite interesting and nice topic chosen for the post. Umrah Packages

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post having excellent contents.This is exactly what I've been looking for.Thank you very good. Umrah Packages

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing. Really very informative and very useful post in your blog. I like it. Thanks a lot for sharing.
    Umrah performance

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went to Umrah on travelling and preparation from Umrah. I was very sick and tired. I saw Khanay Khaba feel very relax and mind fresh. I decide to travel by Dawn Travel. They also good for me.
    Umrah Packages

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I like reading this blog. Keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have share your experience very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Umrah is the spiritual journey for Muslims you have shared a very precious experience of Umrah with us thanks for the sharing I am also planning for Umrah this year INSHALLAH http://www.ukhajjumrah.travel/packages/umrah-december-2016/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Compared with my last tour, I think it was a lot improved than this. Thank you for your hajj services 2014 Cheapumrahpackage.us Soon I will get back your Hajj and Umrah services. Umrah Packages

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did you know you can create short links with BCVC and make money for every visitor to your short links.

    ReplyDelete
  18. umrah package 2017

    binqasim travels present best umrah package 2017 at affordable price with best facilities.Now book your

    desireable umrah package in very cheap price,this ramzan book the journey of your life time with bin

    qasim travels.bin qasim travels offers best umrah package in karachi, you can see our packages at our

    website.

    ReplyDelete
  19. May Allah Blessed you!!
    Thanks for sharing amazing information about hajj or umrah journey.
    Hajj Umrah Packages 2017

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Compared with my last tour, I think it was a lot improved than this. Thank you for your hajj services 2014 Ilinktours.com. Soon I will get back your Hajj and Umrah services. Hajj Travel Package

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hajj Umrah Package made our Umrah in Ramadan as comfortable as possible so far assumed so as to it’s a pilgrimage and to the most important element is to worship Allah (S.W.T) and direct us completely. Friendly workers, prepared and a extremely calm trip.

    ramadan umrah packages

    ReplyDelete
  23. Assalam-O-Alaikum
    Very beneficial Post.Thanks foe sharing with us.
    Allah has made it obligatory for all the Muslims to perform Hajj at-least once in their lifetime. As mentioned by Allah in the holy Quran “And pilgrimage to the House is a duty unto Allah for mankind, for him who can find a way thither” (Aal Imran 3:97).

    if you are from Muslim Community of UK and want to make your journey comfort towards MAKKAH for Umrah or Hajj then choose our Umrah Packages 2017.

    open this link
    http://esperanceuniverselle.blogspot.com/2017/05/reward-of-being-tolerant.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Assalam-O-Alikum

    Hajj is an annual religious pilgrimage to Mecca undertaken each year by 2-3 million people. The approximate dates for the 2017 Hajj are August 30 to September 4..
    If You are From Muslim Community of United Kingdom and wants to perform Hajj or Umrah then you can choose our
    Cheap Hajj & Umrah Packages 2017

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pilgrims and traders travel to the city and acquire accommodations in Best Hotels in Madina through Haramayn Hotels and enjoy the beauty of the holiest cities.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...