15 Jun 2017

Modesty In Style


Okay, here comes another Fashion related post from me. But you all know I am not a fashion frenzy blogger. I do it now and then, as I sit and relax. There are literally innumerable fashion bloggers in every nook and corner of the city. But there are only few Hijabi fashion bloggers in India who focus on Modest Outfits. Modest outfit doesn’t mean boring clothes or the old fashioned burqa, but then it can be accentuated and stylized like any other outfits. Generally speaking, Modest Fashion refers to looking stylish while relatively covered.

That being said, I agree I do not have the high end fashion knowledge but I do have some dressing sense to suit me. I am tall. Sometimes when my diet take a toll, I end up looking big, you know the tall and the fat ones. My personality is a bit of this and a tad of that. Delicate as well as a clumsy type. I am not ‘into’ fashion related scenarios but for every women, looking good is that one thing that comes naturally. After all, fashion is being able to mix and match different colors and patterns and pull it off together. All we need is some style.

If you think Modest Fashion is only for Muslims, well, then it's time to change your idea. Modesty in fashion means covering your body appropriately. Simple as that. Anybody can dress modestly whether they are Muslim or not, female or male. It is just a dress code. Being modest, to me, does not mean it has to compromise our sense of style. In my opinion, modest wear can be as simple as a maxi skirt, loose pants, a kurta & a scarf. Even a Salwar Kameez with nicely draped dupatta is modest. You agree with that, right?

Fashion evolves every day. It changes and progresses every minute. I’d say, fashion is neither the truth nor the fact but they are somebody’s opinion. And the perspective changes from one another. I am pretty conscious on how I cover myself. Especially, with the length of my dresses and the fitting of my garment. I prefer my own trend and identity but within the conservative parameters of my faith.

Big or small, slim or fat, fair or dark, there is no difference. Fashion belongs to everyone. It is the style that matters. In recent times, Hijabs and Maxi dresses are trending in the fashion runway. With my wardrobe full of scarves, Abayas and Jilbabs, the floral maxi dress and that denim shirt and the salwar kameez and sarees, I decide to take a dip in the Modest Fashion Blogging, and show some of my simple, comfortable and everyday styles.


To me, modesty in actions and behavior are equally important, as Allah says.

O children of Adam, we have provided you with garments to cover your bodies, as well as for luxury. But the best garment is the garment of righteousness. These are some of God's signs, that they may take heed. (Quran - 7:26)

Being a Hijabi, I am trying to keep a balance between modesty and style. For sometime now, I have been pondering about sharing with you all on how I approach the whole dressing idea - modestly and with individuality.

Two third of the Ramadan has passed and we are already awaiting Eid. Along with fasting and prayers, there is so much plans ahead, and my first outfit post coming up soon…

Wassalam!

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you loved the post, Rupam. Have a great weeekend :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for writing this it's nice to read, very informative thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Fashion belongs to everyone." I LOVE that! so true. Your faith or level of modesty has nothing to do with fashion. I've seen some Indian and Muslim girls who wear the most beautiful saris and long dresses. They are the height of fashion! You should definitely do some more posts focused on fashion choices for modesty. I think lots of women would like to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plans to do some more outfit posts. The first one is already out. Thank you Amanda. :)

      Delete
  4. I love your view on fashion! It's nice how you balance between modesty and style. And yes I agree, modesty can be for everyone. It's a style. Curious to see your outfit post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all, fashion is based on our personality and style. I have published my first outfit post. Do check and tell me how you like it. I'd be happy to read your opinion. :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post highlighting how modesty in dress is not just exclusive to the Muslim community. I lived in Oman for a year and was able to witness some of the most beautiful displays of fashion I've ever seen in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's great to know. There are many ways to display our sense of fashion. And I choose modesty. :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Vinitha. Happy to see you here after a long time. :)

      Delete
  7. I love your view on Fashion Meera :)
    Very pristine and elegant; Fashion is just a statement, that is defined by the way you carry whatever you don :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Sriparna. Thanks for dropping by. :)

      Delete
  8. "I prefer my own trend and identity but within the conservative parameters of my faith."

    Well said! I love that line. It's very thoughtful, since I know some men and women don't really take religion into consideration while dressing up. That's why, for example, you see Christian women wearing sleeveless tops and/or short skirts inside the church. I mean, Christianity is a bit more lax on the dress code, but there are places where appropriate attire must be worn, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's, after all, people's choices. But then, we should consider our dress code must suit the place we go. Else we might even end up in an awkward state. It's something like, we can be relaxed at the beach but not inside the place of worship. Thank you Nathalie, for sharing your thoughts. :)

      Delete
  9. You have said that very nice "Fashion belongs to everyone". And modest dressing definitively does not mean it is boring. More is less that is my policy. An appropriately dressed woman is also attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Irma. A dress code that suits our body type is very important. An appropriate dress certainly enhances one's beauty. :)

      Delete
  10. Very true, agree with you Meera that modesty is important for each of us to practice it in life :) Enjoy reading your post sharing here with your personal fashion views ;) High 5! Modesty not meaning boring ;) cheers, SiennyLovesDrawing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modesty certainly doesn't mean boring. Infact, it gives more beauty to a woman. Thanks, Sienny. :)

      Delete
  11. I would agree that fashion belongs to everyone. It is not the trend that is set by the few, it is your individual style. It is the confidence to show who you are. It is being comfortable of what you wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we can't always wear the fashion outfits we see in the runway or movies. A dress should give us comfort as well confidence and that adds value to our personality. Thanks, Claire, for reading. :)

      Delete
  12. Fashion belongs to everyone. -- I don't think I've heard that expression before -- but I love it. I'm on the bigger side, but why can't I still wear pretty things? Yesterday, my.new straw cowboy hat arrived - and it's one of my favourite summer purchases. Ever. I agree that mmodest doesn't have to mean boring. There's nothing wrong with staying as covered as you feel comfortable with. And besides, more fabric just means more space for beautiful colours, prints, and ambroidery, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Katy. More fabric means more colors and designs. Nowadays, more is becoming popular with layering our outfits. After all, fashion belongs to everyone of us. Big or small, only thing is we should wear appropriate clothes that suit our body type. And that's what matters the most. ;)

      Delete
  13. I like it when you describe your dressing style to be modest but still celebrates your own individuality. As we have our own style, it is good to note to wear something we are very comfortable with because it is from there that our confidence will be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree when you say modesty in fashion is not jut for muslims but also for those who decently covers their selves. Even The British royalty is practicing this as well. Fashion for me equals to comfort. As long as I'm comfortable then I should be good to go.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...